History


Village of Ellsworth, Historical Photos Village of Ellsworth, Historical Photos
Village of Ellsworth, Farmers Exchange The Village of Ellsworth was founded in 1881 by Erwin A. Dean and his nephew, August Davis. Lewis A. DeLine became its first postmaster on February 1, 1884. The new village and post office included the small settlements of Needmore and Ox Bow. Named by Mr. DeLine who had served under Colonel Ephraim Elmer Ellsworth the first Union officer killed in the Civil War. Incoporated as a village in 1938.
Information excerpts from Michigan Place Names by Walter Romig. LDH

Please click on the following links to learn more about the history of Ellsworth and Banks Township and to visit the site featuring the book
Gleanings by Elsie Timmer
"A foreword to the reader:
This history is dedicated to the former residents of Ellsworth, to those who lived here when this village was young, and from their keen memory we learned how our pioneers strived to conquer the forest and wilderness, to make a home, and eke out a livelihood for their families."

 

Village of Ellsworth   |   6520 Center St., P.O. Box 265   |   Ellsworth, Michigan 49729   |   (231) 588-7411  FAX (231)588-2079   |   office@villageofellsworth.com
Photos Courtesy of Thomas P. Mann
©2005-2017 all rights reserved.