The Village of Ellsworth is located within the geographic boundaries of Banks Township in the northwest Antrim County. Antrim County is located in the northwest region of Michigan’s lower peninsula. According to the 1990 Census, the Village of Ellsworth comprises 0.72 square miles of the County’s 476.9 square mile area. Geographically, the Village is located wholly within one government survey township (Township 32 North, Range 8 West). The greatest distance from the northern boundary to the southern boundary is slightly greater than one mile, and the distance from east to west distance is approximately one mile.
The Village of Ellsworth was incorporated as a village late in its history. In 1902, the election board of Banks Township was organized. In March 1938, the citizens voted 50-6 to petition the Township Board of Supervisors to incorporate the village. A special election was held on the proposal for incorporating the village and the election of the members of Charter Commission, in November 1938.
The Village of Ellsworth is bounded on all sides by Banks Township. The Village of Ellsworth is approximately 16 miles from Bellaire, the county seat.
The Village of Ellsworth was founded in 1881 by Erwin A. Dean and his nephew, August Davis. Lewis A. DeLine became its first postmaster on February 1, 1884. The new village and post office included the small settlements of Needmore and Ox Bow. Named by Mr. DeLine who had served under Colonel Ephraim Elmer Ellsworth the first Union officer killed in the Civil War. Incoporated as a village in 1938.
Information excerpts from Michigan Place Names by Walter Romig. LDH
Learn more about the history of Ellsworth on Banks Township’s Website and visit the site featuring the book Gleanings by Elsie Timmer
“A foreword to the reader: This history is dedicated to the former residents of Ellsworth, to those who lived here when this village was young, and from their keen memory we learned how our pioneers strived to conquer the forest and wilderness, to make a home, and eke out a livelihood for their families.”